Having trouble? This site is best viewed using Firefox.

To Free Rice! Anyone?

by Eman | 6/05/2008

What if just knowing what a word meant could help feed hungry people around the world?... - Washington Post

Just one question. Can you think of any game which can improve your vocabulary and help in feeding hungry people around the world?

Any answers? Well I have one!

Say hello to Freerice.com. They host a simple game - a game to improve your vocabulary. For each word you get right, they will donate 20 grains of rice through the UN World Food Program to help end hunger.

Here is how it works. When you play the game, sponsor banners appear on the bottom of your screen. The money generated by these banners is then used to buy the rice. So by playing, you generate the money that pays for the rice and learn new words as well.

I tried the game for a while now and I have donated a little over 1000 grains of rice! I don't know if that amount can feed a hungry child (because I don't count the rice I'm eating... lol). But consider if this game is played by thousands of people, that could make a BIG difference.

So, are you feeling guilty about wasting time on your computer's solitaire? Join the growing guilt-free multitude at FreeRice.com, an online game with redeeming social value.

WARNING: This game may make you smarter. It may improve your speaking, writing, thinking, grades and job performance!






If you like this post then please consider subscribing to my RSS feed. You can also subscribe by email and have my new articles sent directly to your inbox.




Digg Technorati del.icio.us Stumbleupon Reddit Blinklist Furl Spurl Yahoo Simpy
1 comments
  1. lloyd belleza June 8, 2008 at 5:55 AM  

    hi. just tell me if u have linked me already. ill link u after.